August 25, 2006

Urchin of the Riding Stars (Mistmantle Chronicles #1)

Do you like the idea of brave warrior squirrels? Me too, which is why this book appealed to me so strongly. When I read Urchin of the Riding Stars, by M. I. McAllister, I didn't know what I was in for. I had expected an adventure story about squirrels who defended their homes, kind of like a Redwall (great series!) book, but I got SO MUCH more than I had bargained for.

This is truly an grand tale, focusing on the troubled kingdom of Mistmantle, a hidden island inhabited by four types of animals; squirrels, otters, moles, and hedgehogs. The animals had lived in peace until some cruel creature began his quest to take over the island for his own evil purposes. Our hero is Urchin, a small pale squirrel who nobody expected much of. Can this most unlikely of heroes save his island? This book is a rollicking adventure story, incredibly well-written, and deserving of much praise. Read this if you like Redwall (you should), Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, Eragon, and big books like that.

No comments: