February 5, 2010

The Lightning Thief - by Rick Riordan

You're about to get kicked out of your school, but is it your fault your math teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill you? Percy's not sure why he's got such bad luck, or what is really going on. When the minotaur appears and chases him all the way to an unusual summer camp where he seems to be protected, things get even weirder, but at least he gets some answers.

Twelve-year old Percy Jackson is a funny, tough, and smart kid - the kind of main character we all love to read about. This first book of his adventures has him deep inside the world of Greek gods, fighting to return Zeus's lighning bolt before things get really ugly. This book is HOT with so many kids at my school, and has been for years. I've only read the first book, but it was so captivating and fun to read that I'll polish off the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series soon, for sure.

If you love adventure, books full of action, monstrous creatures attacking middle-school students, and Greek mythology, this is a sure winner. I'd recommend finding a nice guide to Greek mythology, and having it next to you as you read.

2 comments:

Momo said...

I agree with you about this great book Mr K. I would love to work with a class and spend the whole term delving into Greek mythology. I often images those women with the threads and scissors snipping at our lives.

We have had this book in our school library for ages but it only came to my attention when I saw an ad for the movie. Now I am hooked. I have put some links to some great related sites on my blog.

S. Heupel said...

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths was a help to us. Even my 1st grader was into it; she can now name by sight the gods on Mt. Olympus and tell you where they sat in relation to Zeus. Wow!