August 29, 2009

Kensuke's Kingdom - by Michael Morpurgo

Young Michael hated seeing both of his parents lose their jobs, but when they decided to take a year, buy a sailboat, and cruise around the world, he could hardly believe it.  On their voyage, Michael was accidentally thrown overboard, and washed up (with his pet dog Stella) on a deserted island in the middle of the ocean.  With no way for his parents or anyone else to find him, Michael had to figure out how to survive all alone on the island - or was he really alone?  It turns out that another person lived on the island already, and that's where the story gets really interesting.  How will Michael survive? Who is the mysterious island man?  Will his parents ever find Michael?  Read the book, don't ask me!

This is one of the very best books I've read recently.  It's a survival story in the spirit of Gary Paulsen, but it is all its own.  The English author writes a lot about sailing and survival, and I'm amazed that I had never heard of him prior to finding this book at the library.  This is one that everyone should read, and I'm sure it will become a favorite of yours, too. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic book. I'm glad you've reviewed it. My students LOVE this book every year I read it.