February 18, 2008

The Mysterious Benedict Society - by Trenton Lee Stewart

It all began with a strange test, and it ended with... well, I can't tell you that. What I can say is that four very special (and different) children were selected to participate in a top-secret, incredibly dangerous mission, and that time was running out. The children each possessed very different skills, all of which ended up working together to defeat the strangest enemy any of the children could have imagined.

This book may seem odd, and it is odd, but it is truly one of the most remarkable stories I've ever read. Mr. Stewart's characters are interestingly quirky, and very memorable. The writing is smart and lively, and the tale holds your interest all the way to the end of this very long (nearly 500 page) book. It is a book worth checking out, and one that will surely not disappoint. Lovers of mysteries and adventures will all enjoy this, as will readers of E.L. Konigsburg, whose characters would surely get along with Mr. Stewart's.

I wouldn't have known of this book were it not for Mrs. V coming in and reading it to my class, reminding me how fun it is to be read to, and creating instant fans of all of my students, who have been clamoring for the local library to acquire more copies.