January 16, 2012

Jake - by Audrey Couloumbis

When Jake's mom takes a tumble and is out of action in the hospital for a while, he's got a surprise babysitter:  His long-lost grandfather!  When the routines he is used to are all shaken up, how will Jake manage this strange reunion with his mysterious relative?  Between his grandpa's grumpy attitude and killer dog, Jake has his work cut out for him to survive this adventure.

This is a nice little story about the importance of family, and about how things aren't always what they seem at first.  It's a sweet story with some interesting (but predictable) twists.  The writing is good, but the story was kind of simplistic and didn't hold my attention as much as I had expected.  I guess I'm not used to such straightforward stories anymore!  Don't get me wrong, it's a good read, just not making my list of favorites.

No comments: