August 23, 2011

100 Cupboards - by N. D. Wilson

Do you like nice stories about a new kid in a small town that turn out to be hair-raising inter-world fantasy adventures?  Yeah, me too.  This is one of those.

Not at all what I expected, this book had a slow start as we met Henry, a boy who was sent to live with his uncle's family in Henry, Kansas, when his own parents died.  He spends his days exploring the local area and learning to play baseball with the neighborhood boys, until the night that a piece of plaster hits him in the face.  It's not just any plaster, but a piece of the wall behind his bed, where he soon discovers a number of mysterious cupboard doors (take a wild guess how many).  At this point the story is still pretty normal, but before long it turns into a sort of Midwestern The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, with cats and baseball bats.  No, I'm afraid I really can't explain it better than taht without giving some important pieces of the plot away, and I am many things, but NOT a spoiler.

From the author of the curious realistic adventure Leepike Ridge comes this new fantasy adventure series, and I think it will be very popular with the kiddos and their parents as well.  The guy just knows how to write, and this first book leaves plenty of options open for directions to take the story, so you can expect many sequels, and that's a good thing.

1 comment:

Momo said...

Hi Mr K I found this book oddly disturbing but you might like to know the sequel is published! It has not really be a major winner in my school but I did like the premise of all those doors and the mysterious worlds behind them.