February 20, 2010

Harry, a History - by Melissa Anelli


I came across this book by accident, browsing the shelves at my local library.  When I found it, I had already read all of the Harry Potter books at least twice, and I was definitely fan.  This book, however, rekindled my fascination with and love for the Potter series, turned me on to a new branch of music (Rock out to Wizard Rock!), and gave me a new appreciation for the community-building power of literature.

Melissa Anelli runs a Harry Potter fan website, The Leaky Cauldron.  My first visit to this interesting site was after reading this book, and I was amazed at what I found.  There are a ton of Harry Potter fans who have taken their fandom FAR beyond the level of my own, which consists mainly of reading the books, talking to freinds about them, and then reading them again.  Harry Potter fandom has become a universe of its own, it seems, with communities, websites, bands, conferences, and a host of truly fanatical fans.  This book chronicles the rise of this Potter-fan universe from the very beginning, and includes captivating interviews with J.K. Rowling herself.  I thought I was well-versed in the history of the series, but this book showed me the REAL story, and it's amazing.

If you're a Potter fan of any age (perhaps teen and older, actually), pick up a copy of this memoir and rekindle your own love of the (arguably) greatest series of all time.  In the meantime, look up my new favorite band, Harry and the Potters, and get ready to rock, Wizard-Style!

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

I'll have to take a look at this.