March 29, 2009

Bone: Out From Boneville - by Jeff Smith

What do you get when you mix talking bones, dumb giant rat creatures, a cow-racing grandma, and a big red dragon all together?  A very interesting and well-designed graphic novel.  This is the first book in the Bone series, and the first I have read, though I've seen kids reading these for years.  I expected a simplistic plot, but was surprised by the quality and interest of the story.  This is a great series for lovers of graphic novels, and a very good introduction to the genre for those who expect graphic novels to just be big comic books.  It is, in a way, but it has as much in common with a novel as it does a typical comic.  Pick up this book and you'll see what I mean.

One thing Jeff Smith does is to create very enjoyable pictures, not just the striking characters, but the way he sets up scenes with pictures.  I'm hooked.

No comments: