October 6, 2007

A Dog's Life - by Ann M. Martin

Woof. There aren't many books that can make you feel like a dog, but this is definitely one of them. Ann Martin tells this amazing story about a stray dog (named Squirrel) from the dog's point of view, and by the end of the story, I had a strange urge to curl up and lay on the floor in front of the fireplace, head between my paws.

I love this book for many reasons, one of them being the way it made me see the world from a dog's-eye-view. The writing is lovely, almost poetic, and flows so smoothly you could almost forget you're reading. The story begins with Squirrel, her brother, and their mother living in a shed behind a human family's house. From this moment on, the book holds the readers attention without a single slow section. There is adventure, fighting, hunger, freezing, and a whole range of emotions, and you really will experience all of these things as if you were a four-legged furball! The book feels very mature to me, and I think it's a wonderful read for children (ages 8 and up will get the most out of it), adults, and especially dog lovers. This is a must-read!