August 17, 2006

Small Steps - by Louis Sachar

This follow up to Louis Sachar's bestselling book Holes is a completely different bird. The plot focuses on two kids from Camp Green Lake (in the first book), Armpit and X-Ray, and really zooms in on Armpit's life after camp. The story is great, but really seems to be for an older audience, more mature audience than Holes. There are moments of racial tension, an exploration of what it's like to be a famous singer, allusions to parent infidelity, and a decent amount of content related to scalping concert tickets illegally. I enjoyed it, and I'm sure other readers will too, but I'd say it's solidly in the TEEN category, not elementary school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked this book alot. I agree with mister K that this is a TEEN book and not for elementry students.It is a good sequel t Holes.